Sunday, December 28, 2008

Potstickers and Potsticker Sauce

OK I am starting to sound like my dad and having to tell a story with every recipe I post, so here goes the story of me and the potsticker. Because I am such a picky eater the first time I ever tried potstickers was on my mission. There was a member family who were great cooks and had a bag of them from Costco. To my surprise I liked them, although I am sure at the time I didn't know it had cabbage in it. The Mattsons served it with a sauce and rice vinegar. After returning home, my friends and I would get them at one of my all time favorite restaurants, The Mandarin in Bountiful. Once my mother in law made them for me the first time, I am sure I knew Scott was the one. She actually made them better than the Mandarin. There are few things I can do as well as Marilyn, but I have to say Potstickers is one of them. So I then started the qwest to find the perfect sauce. I found this recipe as a marinade for meat in the local newspaper and thought it would be good the for potstickers, and it is. Scott still prefers them without the sauce, but not me. I have a friend who made them for a group and put them in her crockpot with a little water to keep them moist. Let me know if you have any questions, and enjoy!

Potstickers
1 1lb fresh ground pork (Albertsons brand is best)
1 pkg square won ton skins
2 T soy sauce
½ C cabbage, chopped really fine
1 t sesame oil
½ C onion, chopped really fine
½ t ground ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 egg beaten
1 can small shrimp, drained


Combine all ingredients except won ton skins. Please ½ tablespoon mixture in center of won ton skin. Wet each corner with water and bring all 4 points to center and pinch to seal. Heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil in frying pan until hot. Place potstickers in pan with sides barely touching. Fry until bottom is slightly browned on medium heat. Add 1/3 cup water to pan and cover quickly. When water has evaporated, repeat with another 1/3 cup and cover quickly again. When water is evaporated, they are ready to serve. (While preparing, keep potstickers covered with a slightly damp towel so they won’t dry out.)



Potsticker Sauce

¼ C soy sauce
1 ½ T dark sesame oil
¼ C finely chopped green onions
1 ½ t garlic powder
2 T water
1 ½ t ground ginger
2 T brown sugar
¼ t pepper

Place in sauce pan and heat until it boils.

1 comment:

  1. Karen, my potstickers turned out so good. I can't even believe I can make something that good! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete